Apr 12, 2005

The life of a court interpreter

I've worked a fair amount of years in the translation industry but I have never professionally done any interpreting? Would I ever consider doing it? No way. When I was in school working on my degree in Spanish translation and interpretation, we mostly focused on translation theory and practice. However, we were introduced to interpretation and even practiced doing some. Let me just say that I think it is an extremely challenging activity.

However, if intpretation is your cup of tea, and especially if you speak a less-commonly taught language, chances are you could readily find work in any of the larger population areas doing interpretation for the courts.

I've read a couple articles the past little while about the need for more court interpreters in all kinds of languages, not just Spanish or Mandarin.

Here's an interesting article about the need for more interpreters.

No comments: